Friday, February 18, 2011

SPICY ~ COOKING HAMBURGER PATTIES, BRUSSEL SPROUTS AND BEER BREAD








Cooking is such a delight when my goal is to make a party in the tummies of my husband and family. I am used to cooking in bulk as I am the oldest of five children, three of them brothers, who ate A LOT growing up. Now, that I am joyfully married, I have four step children and we live with my in laws which means I get to cook in the glorious large amounts I am so used to.

It was sad, indeed, when I was single and living alone. No reason to cook just for me. And I waited and prayed for a long time that I would have a husband and was richly blessed with not only an incredible husband but four amazing sweet children!

On entering my new home, my husband and father-in-law introduced the vivacious use
of spices in my cooking and I really took off with this. I have fallen in love with Cayenne Pepper and use this in almost all my cooking with meat and veggies. I love the bite it gives!

I choose simplicity in my cooking: meat, veggies and bread for each meal:

HAMBURGER PATTIES:

Make 5 pounds of Ground Chuck into patties.

Coat heated cast iron skillet with Olive Oil and Butter and place patties close together on skillet.

Sprinkle Seasoning Salt, Garlic Salt, Cayenne Pepper and Steak Seasoning on up side of patties.

Cook for about five minutes, then flip and sprinkle the other side with the same seasonings.

Continue flipping every five minutes until done to preference.

Options: Can bake instead of grills on stove. Just put the spices on top of olive oil and melted butter in casserole dish and sprinkle tops with spices.

Bake at 325-350 degrees until done to preference.

BRUSSEL SPROUTS:

Place Olive Oil in warm pan on stove.

Place 3 16 oz. bags of frozen or 6 cups of fresh brussel sprouts in pan and add 1/2 cup water.

Let cook until partially tender.

Add Onion Flakes, Seasoning Salt, Garlic Salt, Cayenne Pepper and Smoked Paprika.

Cook until tender.

Add pats of Butter and let melt.

BEER BREAD:

This is very simple. Kudos to Paula Dean for her Beer Bread Mix!

Mix 2 boxes of Paula Dean's Beer Bread Mix (I find mine at the local Big Lots for $2.70 a box...not sure where else this is sold...)

Mix in 2 12 oz. cans or bottles of good light beer.

Place in 2 buttered loaf pans.

Pour 3 Tablespoons for each loaf over bread.

Bake at 325-350 degrees until knife inserted in middle comes out clean...about 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment